What Personal Information do we collect?
We may collect the following Personal Information: your name, home address, telephone number, personal e-mail address, billing and account information, information about your legal issue and other information related to providing you legal advice and services. We may also collect Personal Information about your family members, beneficiaries, directors, officers, employees, witnesses, adverse parties, parties-in-interest, investigators, decision-makers, experts and other professional advisors and your business partners, investors, shareholders, competitors and customers.
How do we collect your Personal Information?
We only collect Personal Information that you voluntarily provide to us through email, the completion of forms, telephone or in-person meetings, or otherwise in the course of providing services to you.
In obtaining your consent to collect, use and disclose your Personal Information we will use reasonable efforts to inform you of the purpose for which Personal Information will be collected, used or disclosed. The form of consent may vary depending on the circumstances and type of information disclosed. We will take into account the sensitivity of the Personal Information and your reasonable expectations when determining the appropriate form of consent.
Why do we collect your Personal Information?
Generally, while providing professional legal services to our clients, we collect, use and disclose Personal Information about our clients and service providers. Further, we collect, use and disclose Personal Information about applicants for positions with SMB for the purpose of evaluating the application and deciding whether to establish (and later to manage or terminate) an employment, contractual or partnership relationship.
Outlined below are the purposes for which we collect, use and disclose Personal Information:
● to establish and manage client relationships, provide legal advice and services, fulfill legal duties, and avoid conflicts of interest;
● to establish and maintain commercial relationships with clients, suppliers, service providers and other third parties;
● to establish, manage and terminate employment, contractual and partnership relationships;
● to conduct surveys, research and evaluations;
● to develop, enhance, market, sell or otherwise provide Insight Legal’s products and services;
● to market, sell or otherwise provide products and services of third parties with whom we have a commercial relationship;
● to distribute our newsletters and other informational e-mail communications and other material to individuals on our mail and e-mail lists;
● to develop and manage our knowledge-management precedent systems and databases;
● to develop and manage our business and operations;
● to detect and protect SMB and other third parties against error, negligence, breach of contract, fraud, theft and other illegal activity;
● to audit compliance with our policies and contractual obligations;
● to engage in business transactions;
● as permitted by, and to comply with, any legal or regulatory requirements or provisions; and
● for any other purpose to which you consent.
To whom do we disclose your Personal Information?
Occasionally, we may disclose your Personal Information to:
● third party service providers with whom we have a contractual relationship;
● an organization or individual retained by us to evaluate your creditworthiness or to collect outstanding debts;
● a financial institution;
● a person who, in our reasonable judgment, is providing or seeking the information as your agent;
● our insurers and regulatory agencies such as provincial law societies;
● our personnel;
● government authorities, consultants or agents; and
● any third party or parties, where you consent to such disclosure or where disclosure is required or permitted by law.
In certain situations, we may use or disclose Personal Information without your knowledge or consent (as permitted or required by law). These circumstances may be:
● where the Personal Information is publicly available;
● where collection or use is unmistakably in the interests of the individual and consent cannot be obtained in a timely manner;
● to investigate a breach of an agreement or a contravention of a law;
● to comply with a subpoena, warrant, court order or as required or otherwise permitted by law; and
● when information is being collected for the detection and prevention of fraud or for law enforcement.
What do we do to protect your Personal Information?
Our goal is to ensure that your Personal Information is protected and kept secure at all times. We treat your Personal Information as private and confidential. To help protect the confidentiality of your Personal Information, we employ administrative and technological safety measures appropriate to the sensitivity of your Personal Information. Your Personal Information is stored in secured locations and on servers located either at our offices or at the offices of our service providers. Further, we operate secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems.
How long will we utilize, disclose or retain your Personal Information?
After we have collected Personal Information, we may retain a record of your Personal Information (including correspondence or comments) in our file(s) specific to you (electronic or otherwise) as well as in current and archived email systems. We will continue to use, disclose or retain your Personal Information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected and as required or permitted by law.
Privacy and our website
You may voluntarily submit Personal Information to us for purposes such as asking a question, obtaining information, reviewing or downloading a publication, subscribing to a newsletter or a mail or e-mail list, participating in a seminar or other event, and participating in contests and surveys. If you are a registered user of an online service on our website, we may combine and store Personal Information about your use of our website and information you have provided to us with certain other online and offline information we may have collected.
We may send you marketing or promotional e-mail communications. In this process, we may collect certain information such as the date and time you first opened our e-mail communications, the number of times you open our e-mail communications, the number of instances you click through our articles and your total click-through activity on the contents of our e-mail communications. We may also combine and store any such information to manage and improve our e-mail communications. If you no longer wish to receive any future marketing or promotional material from us, our promotional e-mail communications will include instructions on how to unsubscribe and inform us of your preferences.
We may include links to other websites on our website. These third party websites may collect your Personal Information and they may have different privacy policies and practices than SMB. We do not assume any responsibility for the privacy practices, policies or actions of the third parties operating these websites. We strongly encourage you to read the privacy policies of these websites to enable you to make an informed decision whether or not to provide your Personal Information to the websites’ operators.
If we seek to collect, use or disclose your Personal Information for purposes other than those to which we obtained your consent, we will obtain the necessary consents required under applicable privacy laws, unless otherwise required or permitted by law.
How do you contact us regarding access to your Personal Information or making complaints?
SMB Business Immigration
4065- 3080 Yonge Street